Thinking about trying CBD? It’s hard to sift through all the information out there. Some is accurate. Some is wishful thinking. Some is fear-mongering (no, CBD does not get you high). But don’t let uncertainty stop you from exploring CBD’s benefits. This beginner’s guide can help you get started right now.
What is CBD?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound made from the cannabis plant, specifically cannabis sativa. Yes, it’s the same plant that gives us marijuana and hemp. Marijuana contains THC, which creates a “high,” but hemp and CBD contain non-detectable levels or up to 0.3% in full spectrum products. At the federal level, hemp is legal in all 50 states, which means CBD is too.
What Are The Health Benefits of CBD?
Taking CBD carefully and consistently is associated with well-documented benefits, including:
- reduced pain and stress
- better sleep
- greater emotional well-being
- faster muscle recovery after exertion
- less inflammation
- help with anger management and mood regulation
- fewer seasonal allergy symptoms
- fewer or no traumatic memories and flashbacks
- reduced or less severe nightmares
- and more
Who Should Take CBD?
It’s for you. CBD promotes emotional well-being, and who couldn’t use more of that? CBD is also recommended to treat symptoms in people with:
- anxiety and panic attacks
- joint pain and inflammation
- muscle aches
- chronic pain
- anger management issues
- seasonal allergies
How Does CBD Work?
CBD works in alignment with your body’s endocannabinoid system. Keeping this system healthy is essential to regulating a wide range of processes including:
- metabolism, appetite and digestion
- learning and memory
- motor control
- chronic pain
- liver function
- muscle formation and bone growth
- skin and nerve function
- cardiovascular and reproductive systems
Gradual Help vs. Instant Results
CBD’s benefits don’t usually appear with the first dose. Most people need to use it consistently for a week or two before they notice improvement. There is a loading phase with CBD products, so consistency is key. But since CBD works with the endocannabinoid system that is inseparable from well-being, I urge you to stick with it. There are tons of benefits we already know about and possibly many more to be discovered.
Beginner’s Guide to Dosing CBD
Everyone’s situation is different. We vary by age, weight, metabolism and so much more. That means the right dose for you might not be the best for someone else. Here are a few tips to get started:
- higher doses are not always better
- many experts recommend mid-range doses as most effective
- you could start with a single 25-30 mg dose of CBD daily for about a week
- see how you feel
- reassess and if needed, increase your dose by a modest amount for another week
- use this gradual process until you notice what works best for you
Choose The Right Delivery Method
CBD can be delivered in many forms. Make sure to choose the form you’re willing to take consistently as directed and is recommended for your symptoms.
- CBD oil tinctures – must be carefully measured, placed under the tongue and held there before being swallowed. Used for a wide range of symptoms
- CBD softgels – don’t require measuring and are swallowed like pills. Offers a wide range of uses
- CBD topicals – lotions, salves and roll-ons you apply to the body where needed, in any amount. Mostly used for muscle recovery and arthritis symptoms
Find a Trustworthy Source
The CBD market is unregulated, so you need to find a source you can rely on. Easy Day products are thoroughly tested and held to the highest standard. In fact, you can click to read the lab test results for every one of our products. You can trust the purity and dosage in everything we offer. (You’ll find some discounts, too).
A Range CBD Oil Strengths
CBD oils, extracts and topicals come in different strengths. We recommend you start low and work your way up only if necessary.
- lower range – good for addressing low-level pain, discomfort, stress and sleep issues and even an energy boost
- higher range – used for more severe symptoms of arthritis, chronic pain, PTSD, anxiety and other serious conditions
Full Spectrum vs. Broad Spectrum: What’s The Difference?
Full-Spectrum CBD products
- are considered by many people to produce the best results
- contain CBD and a little THC (less than 0.3%)
- use all of the cannabis plant’s helpful phytochemicals to boost health benefits
- do not produce a “high”
- may produce false positives on drug tests, especially when taken in higher doses
Broad-Spectrum CBD products
- contain CBD and other beneficial cannabis cannabinoids
- do not contain THC
- do not produce a “high”
- may be less likely to produce false positives but could do so on very inaccurate drug tests. If you’re concerned about this, please read our blog on CBD and drug testing
Of course, you should check in with your doctor before trying CBD or any other supplement or medication – especially if you’ve been advised to avoid grapefruit.
- the FDA advises that eating grapefruit with some medications can cause a higher concentration of the medication in your bloodstream, possibly leading to adverse side effects or even an overdose
- grapefruit is known to interfere with more than 80 types of medications
- CBD has the same potential to interact with medication levels in your blood
While you can’t overdose on CBD, taking too much might give you side effects like drowsiness, sleepiness or low blood pressure. Higher doses are best taken at night and can assist in a better night’s rest which is crucial to recovery and maintaining homeostasis.
If you are concerned about taking a drug test at work, we urge you to check with your employer or a legal professional before you take CBD. While CBD products do not make you high, they can cause false positives on certain low-end tests.
Take The Next Step
You may want to do some research of your own, and make sure you’re clear on your reason for starting with CBD. If you decide to move forward, start with a low dose and adjust as needed to find the ideal dose for your individual chemistry. Check in with yourself each day to monitor your results.
That’s how I found the right CBD dose for my needs. Step by step, day by day. Now I have a far better quality of life and can focus my energies on helping others. Let Easy Day be the catalyst for the changes you want in your life. You can do it. And you deserve it. Welcome to Team Easy Day!
If you are ready, I suggest you start with our most popular oil, Classic Spectrum CBD.