As we continue to uncover more benefits and applications of CBD oil, more people are turning to these products to help manage a range of different conditions and symptoms but can it also be used to help treat type 1 and type 2 diabetes?
Although lifestyle changes and medication can be helpful in managing diabetes, researchers and experts are exploring the use of CBD as another means to help with diabetic-related conditions such as controlling blood sugar levels, improving cardiovascular health, and relieving neuropathy. And because CBD is non-psychoactive (meaning it won’t get high like marijuana) it is an especially attractive therapeutic option for those looking for a natural solution to help manage these symptoms.
Let’s take a look at different ways CBD might help manage diabetes and what researchers have started to uncover about its uses in dealing with some of the more debilitating symptoms it presents.
Diabetes is a chronic health condition that affects the way the body converts food into energy. Generally, when a person consumes food, most of it is broken down into glucose and enters the bloodstream. The pancreas then releases insulin which allows the body to use blood sugar as a source of energy.
For diabetics, on the other hand, the body doesn’t make enough insulin or can’t use the insulin efficiently enough, resulting in too much blood sugar remaining in your system. As time passes, this can result in a number of very serious health conditions. As of 2020, 34.2 million Americans are suffering from diabetes, according to the CDC.
The three most common forms of diabetes are type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes – People with type 1 diabetes don’t produce insulin, which means the glucose can’t enter the cells and be used. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes generally surface quickly and most often earlier in life.
- Type 2 Diabetes – This is the more common form of diabetes. People with type 2 diabetes don’t appropriately respond to insulin and over time don’t make enough of it. Symptoms of type 2 diabetes develop more slowly, over longer periods of time.
- Gestational diabetes – Gestational diabetes occurs in pregnant women who might not have ever had diabetes in the past. While this type of diabetes usually goes away once the baby is born, it can increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes and could put the baby at risk of health issues.
How CBD Oil Can Affect Diabetes
Because diabetes is considered an inflammatory condition, there is hope that the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of CBD can be helpful in treating the disorder and managing the symptoms commonly associated with it.
People suffering from obesity and type 2 diabetes often have an overactive endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is responsible for modulating food intake and metabolizing energy. Additionally, there is evidence that the endocannabinoid system can affect the way in which the body responds to insulin sensitivity. This interaction could result in unexpected changes to blood sugar levels and make them more difficult to control.
According to a study published on the American Diabetes Association, because CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system it can potentially have therapeutic benefits for type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia.
The same study also noted that when CBD is combined with tetrahydrocannabivarin (a chemical found in the cannabis plant) it may help control blood sugar and hormonal imbalances often linked to type 2 diabetes by increasing glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide and reducing resistin.
The Benefits of CBD For Managing Diabetes
The endocannabinoid system plays a major role in a number of conditions commonly present in those suffering from diabetes. Let’s break down some of these conditions and the evidence that suggests CBD might be able to help.
Obesity and Insulin Levels
- It has been well established that obesity and insulin resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular diseases. However, according to a 2020 medical study, because CBD has shown promise in potentially helping lose weight as well as fight insulin resistance, it may help reduce the risk of developing some of these conditions. The study concluded that:
“CBD has the promising potential as a therapeutic agent and might be effective in alleviating the symptoms of insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome”
Diabetic Neuropathy and Nerve Damage
- Neuropathy, more commonly known as nerve damage is another symptom commonly associated with those struggling with diabetes. Fortunately, evidence has shown promising results for the use of CBD to help deal with this symptom as well.
Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Disease
- People dealing with diabetes are also at a higher risk of cardiovascular disease. However, data from a 2017 study uncovered that subjects who were given CBD experienced reduced blood pressure. Because high blood pressure can contribute to cardiovascular disease, there is hope that CBD can help manage the condition. Although the study went on to note that more research is needed to determine if CBD can treat cardiovascular disease specifically.
- Diabetic retinopathy is a condition associated with diabetes that affects the eyes. While at first, it might not present any symptoms, over time it can lead to blindness. In fact, data indicates that diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness in adults. There is also evidence that changes to the endocannabinoid system can play a role in diabetic retinopathy. According to a study published in The American Journal of Pathology, CBD might be able to help by reducing oxidative stress, inflammation as well as vascular hyperpermeability.
While research is still ongoing, these studies and clinical trials demonstrate the potential role of the endocannabinoid system in diabetic-related symptoms and the importance of solutions like CBD that can influence it.
CBD For Other Diabetes-Related Symptoms
In addition to the above benefits, CBD oil has also shown promise in helping other conditions commonly associated with diabetes.
Stress and Anxiety
- When it comes to managing diabetes, it’s common for people to experience stress and anxiety. Unfortunately, these effects can increase blood sugar levels and exacerbate their condition. However, multiple studies have shown evidence of the anti-anxiety properties of CBD, which in turn can help lower blood sugar levels.
Insomnia and Sleep Issues
- According to the Sleep Foundation, one out of every two people dealing with type 2 diabetes experience sleep issues. Not only can diabetes-related symptoms lead to interrupted sleep but insomnia has also been linked to high blood sugar levels. Fortunately, CBD has shown promise in helping people deal with insomnia and get a better night’s sleep.
Chronic Pain and Inflammation
- People suffering from diabetes are also prone to episodes of chronic pain and inflammation. Multiple studies have supported the use of CBD to manage both of these symptoms and improve quality of life.
What is the Best CBD Oil for Diabetes?
If you are just starting out trying CBD for your diabetes you might not know which product is best. As you will find as you start doing research, CBD comes in a wide variety of forms and types. Because every person is different, there’s no one answer that works for everyone and you might have to try out a few different options. Just remember to only buy CBD from reputable brands with quality testing to back up their claims and make sure you read the label beforehand.
Getting Started With CBD For Diabetes
If you are suffering from diabetes or believe you might be at risk, it’s important to discuss it with your doctor or a healthcare professional. They can advise you on appropriate treatments and what you can do to help manage the condition. As with any supplement, you should ask them about whether incorporating CBD into your treatment routine can help; especially if you’re already taking prescribed medication.
Living with diabetes can be debilitating and incredibly difficult to manage. While there might not be a cure, there are things you could do to help manage the condition and improve the quality of your life. In addition to CBD, lifestyle changes like getting plenty of exercise and maintaining a healthy diet have also been shown to help.
At Easy Day Hemp, we strive to offer natural solutions and improve the quality of life for you and your loved ones. If you are ready to see how CBD can help you manage the tough symptoms of diabetes we have a range of premium oils and softgels to get you started.
And now when you subscribe to Easy Day we’ll text you a 20% discount off our CBD products; so you can start experiencing the benefits for yourself and have your own Easy Day.