If you or someone you know has suffered from a migraine you know how debilitating and painful it can be. There is a continual effort by patients as well as clinicians to find effective treatment options for preventing and dealing with the pain associated with migraines. Due to its well-known therapeutic benefits, it’s no surprise that this search has included the use of CBD oil.
Let’s take a look at why many believe that CBD oil could be an answer to helping people suffering from headaches and migraines find relief and what researchers have uncovered about its effects.
What are Migraines?
Migraines are an incredibly common and prevalent neurological condition. In fact, it’s estimated that migraines affect 39 million people in the U.S. and are the 3rd most prevalent illness worldwide according to the Migraine Research Foundation. Generally, most people can tell you what a migraine or other type of headache is, even if they have never experienced it themselves. What they might not realize is how debilitating migraines can be. The risk of experiencing frequent migraines can range from things like having a family history of migraines to mood and sleep disorders.
The symptoms associated with migraines can vary depending on the person. That said, some of the more common symptoms people with migraines experience can include:
- Pounding pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Visual changes
- Sensitivity to sound, light, or smell
Is it a Migraine or Just a Headache?
While it can be difficult at times to tell the difference between a headache and migraine. A migraine is a type of primary headache disorder that causes significant pain as well as other symptoms. Most often the pain affects one side of the head but that’s not always the case.
What we refer to as headaches are actually just one symptom of a migraine. When it comes to migraines people may experience recurring symptoms that can last for up to a few days. Generally, migraines occur within four different stages:
- The premonitory stage – where you might experience symptoms before the headache surfaces.
- The Auras stage – which involves sensory disturbances before or during a migraine.
- The headache stage – which involves headaches that can range from mild to incredibly severe.
- The postdrome stage – where people can feel overly tired or ill after the headache goes away.
Although it is important to note that not everyone experiences all of these phases.
Why CBD Might Help Migraines and Related Symptoms
Because of the debilitating effects of migraines, there has been a lot of research over the past few years into potential effective treatments that could reduce the frequency of migraines and the painful symptoms associated with them. Due to the potential side effects of prescription medications, there is a growing need for a natural, non-psychoactive remedy to help those suffering find relief. That’s where CBD oil comes into the picture.
While research into CBD as a means to prevent or treat migraines is still in its early stages, preliminary evidence has started to uncover that its potential is largely due to how migraines are caused and the way in which CBD interacts with the body.
Let’s break down how CBD works and why many believe it could be another tool in helping battle painful migraines and headaches.
Many researchers believe that an endocannabinoid deficiency could play a role in migraines and similar treatment-resistant, chronic pain conditions. CBD interacts with specific receptors in the brain that are part of the endocannabinoid system. Essentially, it helps the body produce more of its own endocannabinoids. This interaction is one of the main reasons behind the potential of CBD to treat pain and inflammation and one of the reasons why there is hope CBD might help relieve chronic headaches.
According to a 2018 study published in ‘Frontiers in Pharmacology’ that explored the role of endocannabinoids in migraines “due to their anticonvulsive, analgesic, antiemetic, and anti-inflammatory effects – [cannabinoids] present a promising class of compounds for both acute and prophylactic treatment of migraine pain”
Another 2019 study supported the above research concluding that preclinical evidence suggests that modulating the endocannabinoid system through the use of cannabinoids may be relevant for treating migraines for a number of reasons.
But there are other reasons as well. Many experts believe that a response to inflammatory agents is a major contributor to the pain we feel when we have a migraine. Because CBD has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties it might also be an effective treatment option.
Additional Research On CBD For Migraines
As research into the applications of CBD for treating migraines continues; researchers are uncovering more evidence of its potential every day. Below are a few examples of other studies conducted and what they found.
- A 2018 study found evidence that cannabinoids have therapeutic benefits; particularly when it comes to treating pain which can also apply to migraines and headaches.
- In an article published on American Migraine Foundation, CBD might be a potential option for some patients experiencing joint and muscle pain associated with migraines according to the director of the Headache Center at Jefferson University Hospital, Dr. Silberstein. He went on to note that because it hasn’t been formally studied yet more research is still needed.
- According to an article on Forbes, one clinical survey found that 86% of people given CBD for a 30 day period reported a decrease in headaches.
- There is also evidence that CBD can help in dealing with a number of symptoms related to migraines such as anxiety and stress as well as nausea and vomiting. This was supported by a 2018 study that noted that CBD has shown to be effective for headache-related conditions like anxiety.
While much of the current evidence is anecdotal; the above studies demonstrate the potential of CBD as a first-line or complementary treatment for migraines and why most experts agree there is an urgent need for further controlled trials to explore its full potential.
What Type of CBD is Best for Headaches?
When it comes to taking CBD for migraines there are a number of different options to choose from. While each one can help; taking CBD oil sublingually can be particularly effective for those dealing with headaches or chronic pain. Because it is absorbed into the blood more effectively and efficiently, it’s a great option for those looking for quicker relief.
If you are just starting out, we suggest starting slow at a lower dose and then adjusting as needed. Once you become more familiar with its effects you can increase the dose until you find what is right for you.
Other Natural Treatments and Home Remedies for Migraines
In addition to CBD, there are other natural remedies and lifestyle changes you can try to help prevent or alleviate migraines. Below are just a few tips that might help:
- Maintain a proper sleep schedule
- Get enough physical exercise
- Practice Yoga, meditation and deep breathing exercises
- Stress reduction methods like biofeedback
- Try acupressure or acupuncture
- Avoiding triggering smells
Your diet can also play an important role in preventing or managing headaches. This is especially true as many foods can trigger migraines. A few dietary suggestions you can experiment with include:
- Maintaining a healthy diet and avoiding foods with high levels of histamine
- Drinking a lot of water
- Cutting down on alcohol
- Trying herbal remedies and ginger tea
- Trying essential oils like lavender oil or peppermint oil
- Making sure you’re getting enough magnesium
- Sip small amounts of caffeine
- Natural vitamins and supplements (especially B Vitamins)
It’s also a good idea to keep track of when you have a headache or migraine. This can help you discover patterns or potential triggers you could avoid.
If you are struggling with persistent headaches that are interfering with your daily life or you notice symptoms are getting worse you should consult a healthcare professional. We would also suggest asking them before adding CBD or any supplement to your diet; especially if you are already or are planning on taking any medications.
Don’t Let Migraines Stand in Your Way
At Easy Day Hemp, we know how debilitating migraines can be and the damage they could do to your quality of life. That’s why we made it our mission to spread natural remedies and solutions that benefit you and your loved ones. If you are ready to see if CBD can help alleviate your headaches and help you feel better we have a wide selection of premium products to choose from. Our Full Spectrum CBD Oil is a great option for more serious symptoms that surface when a migraine strikes.
And now when you subscribe to Easy Day we’ll text you a 20% discount off our CBD products; so you can start experiencing the benefits for yourself and have your own Easy Day.