Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a progressive movement disorder that affects the central nervous system. While experts are still unsure what exactly causes PD, they do know that it occurs due to changes in the brain. It’s also believed that environmental factors and genetics play a major role.
Currently, there are almost one million people in the United States living with Parkinson's disease. Due to its prevalence and debilitating symptoms; scientists continue to search for ways to treat the disorder and help people find relief. With the growing popularity of CBD oil as a potential treatment for similar disorders; there is hope that it can also be used to help manage PD.
Let’s break down some of the ways CBD might benefit those dealing with Parkinson’s disease and why many experts are considering it as another therapeutic option.
The Need For Better Treatment Options
While there are treatments available to help people dealing with Parkinson's Disease, these treatments often result in unwanted side effects and can be ineffective in dealing with common nonmotor symptoms such as anxiety, depression, pain, and sleep issues. However, due to its anti-anxiety, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, there is hope that CBD has the potential to play a major role in alleviating these symptoms as well as a number of the potential side effects other treatments present.
How CBD Might Help Treat Parkinson's Disease
The development of Parkinson’s Disease involves a loss of dopamine producing neurons in the brain. This inability to produce sufficient dopamine is what results in a number of symptoms people often associate with the disorder such as impaired motor control and tremors. However, because experts have recently uncovered that CBD can interact with GPR6 (a G-protein coupled receptor involved in increasing dopamine levels) it might be an effective alternative treatment option for Parkinson’s disease.
CBD For Parkinson's Disease and Related Symptoms
That said, let’s take a look at some of what the research has uncovered about the uses of CBD for those with Parkinson’s and how it might help deal with some of the symptoms commonly associated with the disorder.
- With the FDA approving a form of CBD called Epidiolex as a treatment for certain epilepsies, a 2020 study explored whether it could do the same for Parkinson’s Disease. Results from the study found that CBD has shown promise and could be an effective option.
Involuntary Muscle Movements and Tremors
- One major issue with many of the more common treatments for Parkinson’s is they can cause uncontrolled muscle movements, also known as tremors. In search of a remedy for this issue, a study was conducted which showed CBD might have the potential to improve dystonic movement disorders.
- The use of CBD to help treat Parkinson’s related tremors is also currently being studied by researchers from the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
Pain and Inflammation
- Pain and inflammation are common among those with Parkinson’s Disease. However, according to a recent study that explored the use of topical CBD for arthritis pain, it has shown therapeutic benefits for both of these conditions without evident side effects.
- The above supports evidence from another study that assessed the clinical effect of both CBD and THC on motor and non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease. After reviewing results from 22 patients with PD; the study concluded that while larger studies are needed to verify their results, these compounds may have a place as a potential treatment.
Hallucinations and Psychosis
- Although more common in individuals in later stages of Parkinson’s, hallucinations and psychosis are other symptoms that often present themselves. While there are potential treatment options available, managing PD related psychosis has been an ongoing challenge for clinicians. Fortunately, a pilot study which looked at using cannabidiol for the treatment of psychosis in Parkinson's disease found evidence that CBD may be effective, safe and well tolerated.
- Whether it’s from involuntary movements or nightmares, many people dealing with Parkinson’s also suffer from sleep issues. However, CBD has shown promise in reducing the frequency of REM sleep behavior disorder and improving complex sleep-related behaviors commonly associated with PD. In other words, it might help in dealing with sleep issues and getting a better night’s rest.
Anxiety and Stress
- CBD is also well known for its potential to help manage anxiety and stress. Two symptoms that are often experienced by those dealing with Parkinson's Disease.
Overall Quality of Life
- Lastly, another study that analyzed the effects of cannabidiol in the treatment of patients with Parkinson's disease, found that CBD could lead to a better quality of life in PD patients.
While these findings demonstrate the potential benefits of CBD in dealing with some of the more debilitating symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, it’s important to note that because these studies were mostly on a smaller scale there is more work to be done to verify all of these results. Fortunately, research is uncovering more applications of CBD oil every day.
Which CBD Oil is Best for Parkinson's Disease
CBD comes in a range of different forms and while each one has benefits, it can be difficult to know which is right for you. Deciding on a type of CBD for Parkinson’s can vary depending on what effects you’re looking for and the symptoms you are experiencing. For example:
- If your Parkinson’s is causing joint pain or inflammation topical CBD might be best.
- If you are having trouble swallowing you might want to try CBD oil or tinctures.
- CBD Softgels can be a great solution for those who have difficulty applying the appropriate dose due to tremors.
There’s no one solution that works for everyone so you might have to experiment until you find the right one for your situation.
Getting Started With CBD
If you are considering taking CBD for your PD symptoms, it’s important to consult with your doctor first; especially if you are currently taking any other medications. They should also be able to answer any questions you have on what type and dosage could work best for you.
At Easy Day Hemp, we know how difficult it can be if you or a loved one have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. That’s why we strive to spread knowledge and natural solutions to improve your quality of life and empower you to have your own easy day. If you are ready to get started using CBD and experiencing how it can help we have a large range of premium products to choose from.